Things that help me sleep:
1. Fruit (carbs): My mind is very active (dreams too), so feeding it helps – especially fruit.
2. Exercise: Any should help. For me it’s mostly dog-walking, gardening, dancing, pedal-boating, kayaking, canoeing, etc.
3. Raw cacao: It’s supposed to help sleep because of the magnesium and supposed to drink it in the evening. Supposedly raw caffeine of which there is a very small amount is not stimulating. (Anyway, I recently switched to carob because it’s safe for dogs and mine likes to try all my food.)
4. Routine: I sleep better when I soak my dates and seeds for my morning smoothie or know that I’ve enough ripe bananas and know my approximate plans for the next day.
5. Setting: A clean organized peaceful bedroom and a well made bed. I like the sheets, blankets, comforter, or afghan neat and orderly with some tucked under the mattress at the bottom to keep my feet warm and no drafts.
6. Bed: I use a memory foam mattress and also an electric mattress pad warmer in winter which help sleep. Also feng shui says it’s most healthy to have the bed positioned from north (head) to south (foot).
7. Lavender: My niece made me a lavender sachet which smells so nice. :)
8. Quiet: One room is quieter than the others depending on time of year with windows open or not; but, I use a fan in summer which blurs increased noise outside open window.
9. Read: A book especially if it’s somewhat mathematical or technical, ie: 811 or H.N.t.D. , usually helps me fall back to sleep.
10. Music: Soothing music makes me relax and then I fall back to sleep with the music repeating in my brain which is nice.
11. Timing: Dr. Pam Popper said, “Every hour slept before midnight counts as two hours of sleep.”, allowing to kinda get away with less sleep and not stress out about getting enough sleep. I usually go to sleep by 9pm so by 2am it’s kinda like getting 8 hours of sleep. Then I’d get another 1 or 2 hours before getting up at 6am for work driving a school bus and I could also take an hour nap between AM (6am-9am) & PM (2pm-4pm) shifts if needed, but I’m retired from that now.
12. Dog: Dogs can help sleep with cuddles, warmth, protection, and may be trained to sense a nightmare and provide comfort.
13. Chamomile tea: It has worked for me in the past.
I hope any of these tips help you or make you bored and tired enough to fall back to sleep. lol.
I was inspired to copy and paste my comment I left on Vegan Sista’s video. Thank you for the inspiration. Namaste.